Monday 30 December 2013

#7: See Stonehenge in UK

This trip to England has allowed me to tick a whole lot of bucketlist boxes.

So without further ado I give you Stonehenge.


We didn't actually get up close to the ruins.
We wanted to but the queue was massive. 
Queue to get into the area, queue to park the car, queue for tickets, queue for transport to get to the site, queue to get out... too much queuing.
I was honestly a bit disappointed that something that belongs to the world, a piece of history of mankind, felt like it was being exploited.
I wouldn't mind paying a few dollars to see it but from doing a bit of research I believe the money is being used to build a gift shop, an expanded parking lot, and a food hall; and on top of that the website claims that a few of the areas are restricted to photography. 
Who needs a giftshop full of postcards and keyrings when you have the real thing right in front of you?
So we left the queue and did a little drive-by instead.

Not the best way to see it I must say but still a bucketlist tick none-the-less. 
I might try to go back for a solstice gathering of some sort, or maybe at day break one day to make the most of this mystical place without the tour group crowds.

Anyone else been here?
Did you have to battle your way through a horde of people? 
Or was is peaceful, beautiful and mystical like I imagined it would be?

No comments:

Post a Comment