Friday 28 June 2013

Singapore Slings at Raffles Hotel

The Singapore Sling is a cocktail Singapore is famous for. It was invented over 100 years ago at the Raffles Hotel (another famous Singaporean point of interest) where it's still served today.
However after reading a bit about it I learned that it's been altered beyond recognition from the first time the recipe was created, is automatically dispensed in predetermined quantities of each ingredient and blended (not shaken).
Because of the quantity of orders they receive for this drink I can understand why it's done this way.
But it kind of makes me sad that everything is moving towards automation. I think in this case efficiency should come second to nostalgia.
I might go to the Raffles Hotel, read the original recipe they have on display, and try to recreate it myself.






It's a fun tradition, but the cocktail was a bit too sweet for me.
The thing Chris and I were also disappointed in was the place had real charm, very 1800s-1900s Indian-British, but severely lacked a dress code which took away from the atmosphere and history of the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment